6-2 Project One
In this project, you will demonstrate your mastery of the following competencies:
- Describe the various components of the mind from perception to knowledge
- Evaluate approaches to cognitive research
The mind is a series of processes that all work together. One or more of these processes can become compromised due to factors such as age or neurological conditions, but there are intervention strategies that can mitigate these declines and promote a greater quality of life. Cognition clinics that serve varied populations with distinct needs are being established all across the United States and abroad. The goal of these clinics is to improve clients’ memory, attention, and other cognitive abilities using principles from cognitive psychology and related fields. For example, a clinic may help school-age children diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) or other attention disorders; middle-aged veterans who are potentially dealing with traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) or post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD); and the elderly, particularly those experiencing age-related memory loss and attention deficits.
To best serve these populations, virtual cognition clinics are being created to address the needs of individuals who might not otherwise have access. With a combination of creativity and evidenced-based practices, these virtual clinics have the potential to reach a much broader range of patients in need. Imagine that you are part of a team working at a cognition clinic that is either virtual or in-person.
For this project, due in Module Six, you will create a cognition clinic brochure for prospective clients and their families that describes the services your clinic offers to help enhance memory or attention, along with summaries of current research in the field to educate potential clients on the value of those services. As you create your brochure, consider your audience. Write using nonscientific terms, be clear and concise, and include content based on researched best practices. Include in-text citations and a References section, but write in your own words and do not use direct quotations.
In your Project One milestone, which was due in Module Four, you selected the target population for your clinic and its focus on either short-term/working memory, long-term memory, or attention. You also identified primary sources to help you complete this project. Be sure to incorporate any instructor feedback on the analysis of your sources before beginning work on your project.
Based on the research in your Project One Milestone assignment, pick two strategies that you would use to help enhance cognition in your chosen population. Create your brochure using the Project One Template. In the project template, you must address each of the rubric criteria listed below in about 500 to 750 words total.
- Create an overview of your clinic’s program.
- Describe the needs of your target population. Include details of the cognitive processes that might be interrupted and how interventions can help the population’s quality of life.
- Summarize the current research in the field that has informed your evidence-based cognitive interventions.
- For your first evidence-based cognitive intervention, describe the methods and techniques used and how the results of the research showed effectiveness. Be sure to include why or how the results are relevant to your target population in your response.
- For your second evidence-based cognitive intervention, describe the methods and techniques used and how the results of research showed effectiveness. Be sure to include why or how the results are relevant to your target population in your response.
- For one of the interventions above, describe how a cognitive theory supports the use of that intervention.
What to Submit
To complete this project, you must submit the following:
Cognition Clinic Brochure
Submit your completed Project One Template. Sources should be cited according to APA style.