Evaluate strategic sourcing strategy and challenges of a company or an industry in the context of the unfolding pandemics. Enhance your ability to evaluate the supply chain operations of a company, or an industry sector (or key companies in the industry) or conduct a thorough and in-depth analysis of a specific conceptual issue(s) of supply chain and/or operations management.
Evaluate strategic sourcing strategy and challenges of a company
Final Project (35%)
The final project is a research project. The objectives of this project are to –
(1) Firstly, Evaluate strategic sourcing strategy and challenges of a company or an industry in the context of the unfolding pandemics.
(2) Secondly, Enhance your ability to evaluate the supply chain operations of a company, or an industry sector (or key companies in the industry) or conduct a thorough and in-depth analysis of a specific conceptual issue(s) of supply chain and/or operations management.
(3) Thirdly, Demonstrate your ability to write professional analytical report and consulting-oriented research report.
(4) Finally, Integrate and apply the technical knowledge of supply chain and operations management to evaluate, assess a given system and provide recommendation of improvement.
COVID-19 and supply chain is on everyone’s mind. The pandemic challenges the basic assumptions of global outsourcing, inventory strategy, technology adoption, the role of state and federal government and political systems. You step into profession and take one of your first supply chain classes when the once a century event is taking place.
More specifically, in this project, you will be working in teams to investigate supply chain and sourcing issues to gain a better understanding of the dominant supply management practices in an industry sector (e.g. personal protection equipment (PPE), medical equipment, food/grocery, electronics) and how this sector/company is and will go through rapid changes.
Additionally, we will use newspaper, business magazine, technology report, and social media etc. to conduct your research. We will discuss your project throughout the term.
Your complete report needs to have the following sections – a cover page (with title and your name), an introduction, a background/literature, research method, report on information of your study, your analysis and conclusion.
Ideas for topics. This is a list of issues we hear these days that are related to sourcing and supply management issues. I list them here to stimulate your thinking. This does not mean you will be obligated to work on these topics.
1. Firstly, Shortage of PPE, Ventilators, Other medical equipment and supplies. Why and how the states/cities/private companies respond to the shortage (apparel, distillery).
2. Secondly, How does government use mobile data to track/monitor people and predict labor availability and inventory in different sectors and regions.
2.1 Thirdly, What are the best (supply chain, operations and related policy) practices in other countries such as S. Korea, Israel, Taiwan and …?
3. Fourthly, How federal or state government handle procurement in such emergency situation.
4. Further, Regulatory issues affecting sourcing, custom clearance, FDA approval; state regulations.
4. Finally, Same questions above in the context of other countries and regions (e.g. China, S. Korea, EU countries, India, Africa).