This assignment has two parts.
The first part asks you to select a global pandemic from the past; it can be one of the ancient pandemics, but you may not use the COVID-19 pandemic. You can learn about many past pandemics on Figures 1 and 2 in the unit lesson. Discuss your chosen pandemic, and provide the following information concerning this plague.
- Give a brief description of the pandemic.
- State the signs and symptoms of the disease.
- Identify the disease as a virus or bacteria.
- How does the disease spread?
- What is the expected death rate if unchecked (use the information in lesson and study guide for this if you cannot find it in research)?
- What modern treatments or prevention is available today to combat the pandemic?
Using the information that you researched in Part I, create a brief memo to include in the emergency operational plan for your local agency chief describing the potential pandemic. Recommend efforts to combat the effects of the pandemic in your community.
- Make your recommendations for the agency to act in the community’s best interest.
- Explain why emergency medical services (EMS) participation in emergency exercises and preparation is important.
- Does the local emergency plan cover this type of pandemic? Is the community ready?
- Include the basics of recognition and prevention for this particular pandemic.
- Consider issues like local resources, mental health, and legal issues for emergency personnel.
Part II should be no more than two pages in length.
Your paper should be at least three pages, not counting title and references pages. Please adhere to APA Style when creating citations and references for this assignment. APA formatting, however, is not necessary.