Read the ethics case on page 4-45. Do you think it was fair for the government to destroy an entire company because of the misdeeds of some of its members? Or had Andersen become such a serious offender that such an action on the part of the government was justified?
Government to destroy an entire company because of the misdeeds
Read the ethics case on page 4-45
FIRSTLY, Do you think it was fair for the government to destroy an entire company because of the misdeeds of some of its members?
SECONDLY, Or had Andersen become such a serious offender that such an action on the part of the government was justified?
Unit 3 Discussion: Amrerica’s Ailing Drug Policies.
Read the ethics case on pp. 6-38
FIRSTLY, Given how critical some drugs are in saving peoples’ lives, do you think it is ethical to charge high prices for these drugs?
SECONDLY, What are some of the ethical considerations discussed in the case, and if you were the CEO of a pharmaceutical company, what would your approach be?
Unit 4 Discussion: The Subprime Mortgage Market Meltdown – How Did it Happen?
Read the ethics case on page 8-29, and answer the following questions in one original post.
FIRSTLY, What were the responsibilities of the mortgage brokers to borrowers? To lenders? To investors? How well did they fulfill their responsibilities? Why?
SECONDLY, Did some subprime lenders behave unethically? If so, how? Whose interests did the subprime lenders have a responsibility to represent? Did they adequately represent those interests?
THIRDLY, What could be done to prevent future blowups like the one that occurred in the subprime market?
Unit 5 Discussion: Unilever’s Sustainable Living Plan
Read the ethics case on page 11-37, and answer the following questions in one original post.
FIRSTLY, Should Unilever’s stockholders endorse its sustainability plan? Why or why not?
SECONDLY, Are there business advantages to using sustainable or green suppliers? If so, what are they? If not, do you think a traditional return on investment analysis captures all possible benefits of going green?
THIRDLY, Are there any ethical criticisms of Unilever’s sustainable living strategy? If so, what are they?
Unit 6 Discussion: Profiting From Death – “Janitor’s Insurance”
Read the ethics case on page 15-31, and answer the following questions in one original post.
1. In your opinion, is COLI unethical? If you think there is something unethical about the practice, what is it? If you do not think so, why do you think so many people find it unethical?
2. Suppose a company provided life insurance to each employee and also had a COLI policy on each employee; would that settle the fairness question?
3. Does the fact that from a financial perspective some employees are worth more dead than alive represent a genuine conflict of interest?
Unit 7 Discussion: Compensation – How Much is Enough?
Using the internet, find the annual salary of the CEO of any company of your choosing.
· Do you believe the CEO of the company you chose is being compensated for being an excellent manager?
· Do you feel that this salary is fair, or that the salary should be higher or lower? Why?
· If you were the CEO of company, how much would you think is a fair salary, and what would be your philosophy in compensating your employees?
Unit 1 Discussion: Is Eight Really That Great?
Discussion Topic: 8
Read the ethics case at the end of Chapter 1 titled “Incentives and Ethics: Cross-Selling at Wells Fargo” on page 1-27.
What do you think is the root cause of the opening of those unauthorized accounts?
Do you think it was the right move for the CEO to resign?
If you were the CEO of Wells Fargo, and this occurred, would you step down as CEO? Or would you take action to address what occurred? Please explain.