Mid-Term Reaction Paper: 100 Points
This reaction paper is based on SLO #1: Analyze stereotypes, prejudices, and discrimination, and explore purposeful methods to reduce them, through self-assessment and a reaction paper.
Students will write a 5 – 7 page reaction paper, which will be based on examples of stereotypes, prejudice, and discrimination, and explore purposeful methods to reduce them, through self-assessment and a reaction paper.
Points will be based upon clarity of expression and a focused, well-honed thesis. Since this is a “reaction paper”, students should include an abundance of reactions/personal perspectives that reflect purposeful methods to reduce stereotypes; prejudice and discrimination. Please use the following instructions as your format for writing your paper.
Your paper should consist of the following:
- For our purposes, we will use MLA format.
- Content: Your 5-7 pages of writing should contain the following FIVE sections:
- Your paper should include a thesis statement – stating the specific purpose of your paper
- In two to three paragraphs, you are to summarize the material to which you are reacting to.
- Do not merely repeat the text.
- Should you feel the need to selectively use quotations from the material, put them in quotes and follow the end of the sentence with a parenthetical citation For example: (Bishop 24) OR (Bishop, 2017, pg. 62).
- Failure to cite your material constitutes plagiarism and may result in having your paper returned to you with a grade of zero.
II. CRITIQUE & MEANING
- In two pages or more, you are to critically analyze the material in which you are reacting.
- Please use references from our course textbook, Module 22: The Reach of Prejudice & Module 23: The Roots of Prejudice (Myers & Twenge, 2018).
- Make sure you are selecting one additional reference (this additional references can be from another textbook; academic journal; additional relevant sources include: movie/film depicting stereotypes, prejudice, discrimination; relevant magazines/blogs). Please properly cite ALLadditional references, both in your paper and within your Works Cited page.
- Note, critique does not mean simply saying something negative or positive about the text. Your analysis should address issues such as one or more of the following:
- Does the writer of the article that you are citing present these ideas fairly or are they slanted? How so?
- What are the strengths of the content of this literary work? Weaknesses?
- What could be added to this material to make it better or more complete?
- Choose a major theme from the work and show how the author develops the theme. Give specific examples (be sure to cite them). Show how the theme is presented in various parts of the work.
In two or more paragraphs, give your personal reaction to this material: Analyze stereotypes, prejudice, and discrimination, and explore purposeful methods to reduce them.
Your reactions should include these points:
- What did you find surprising about any of your readings?
- Explore purposeful methods to reduce: Stereotypes, Prejudice and Discrimination
- Include an abundance of your own personal experiences with Stereotypes, Prejudice and Discrimination. Have you been through any of these? How did it make you feel? Have you had friends / family / co-workers / etc. go through any of these experiences?
- Include a reaction to something that you may have recently seen in the news/internet /films depicting stereotypes, prejudice and discriminatory behavior.
- Include your own thoughts, opinions and perspectives to this subject matter.
- In an effort to explore purposeful methods to reduce: Stereotypes, Prejudice and Discrimination, please take the following assessment from The Anti-Defamation League Personal Self-Assessment of Anti-Bias Behavior. (There may be several points within the questions that don’t apply to you. You may modify any of these questions to fit your current lifestyle and current situations; but please do not skip any questions.)
- After you are done with the assessment, consider the questions that you found to be most impacting to you and elaborate on these in your final paragraphs. You may discuss areas that you wish to change in yourself; or areas you want to work on.
- Give three or four action steps that you will be taking in order for you to implement and change in your own behavior and in your own words, share purposeful methods to reduce Stereotypes, Prejudice and Discrimination.
- Include any final thoughts and summarize effectively within a well- constructed conclusion.