Choose THREE of the following questions. Write a paragraph responding to each one of the three you choose. Each of your paragraphs should be approximately 200-250 words.
Each paragraph should explain the main issue in the question posed and illustrate that issue with ONE OR TWO appropriate examples from the text of Frankenstein. You do not require a formal referencing system. But if you quote the text directly, please provide a page number in parentheses. Grammar and expression will be considered when grading, so proofread your work closely before you submit.
You will be assessed on how well you have understood the material presented in the readings, lecture pods, and tutorials in THIS unit this term. That means you should focus your preparation of the material presented in THIS unit, and not external material from websites or other such sources.
You may NOT use any external sources when responding to these questions. Use only what is found in the assigned reading,
- Describe the similar motivations and attitudes toward knowledge of Captain Walton and Victor Frankenstein in Frankenstein.
- How did Mary Shelley’s own background inform the writing of Frankenstein?
- Compare the education of Victor Frankenstein to the education of the Creature.
- What is the most important emotion or emotions determining the Creature’s behaviour?
- What is the most important emotion or emotions determining Victor Frankenstein’s behaviour?
- Provide two or three specific examples of the sublime in Frankenstein, and explain why they are instances of the sublime.
- Provide two or three specific examples of the uncanny in Frankenstein, and explain why they are instances of the uncanny.
- In chapter 6, we read: “by the glimmer of the half-extinguished light, I saw the dull yellow eye of the creature open; it breathed hard, and a convulsive motion agitated its limbs.” Analyse Victor Frankenstein’s reaction to the animation of the creature in chapter 6.
- Why does the Creature regard Frankenstein as an enemy