Week 1 Discussion-Psychology and Gender
According to Bem (1981), gender roles furnish the material for gender stereotypes. This is because when people associate a pattern of behavior with men or women, they tend to overlook individual variations and draw conclusions about the behavior associated with a particular gender.
In the United States, sexism toward women has always been an issue in advertising, especially in the 1950s. Women have traditionally been expected to fulfill gender-specific roles, such as rearing children, cleaning, and cooking. Today’s society has evolved to a place where such discrimination is discouraged and looked down upon. Men too have experienced gender bias, especially those who embraced roles typically associated with women (for example, nursing and stay-at-home dads).
In your exploration of these concepts, your response answer the following:
- How do images represent genders inaccurately or unfairly? Be sure to define gender, gender roles, and gender stereotypes.
- How does the media impact people’s views about gender stereotypes—the concept of being male or female?
- A gender stereotype consists of beliefs about the activities appropriate to men or women. Who determines what is appropriate?
- How does the media influence this perception of appropriateness and gender roles?
Bem, S. L. (1981). Gender schema theory: A cognitive account of sex typing.
Psychological Review, 88(4), 354–364.
Justify your answers with appropriate reasoning and research from your textbook and course readings. Start reviewing and responding to at least two of your classmates as early in the week as possible. You can ask technical questions or respond generally to the overall experience. Be sure to be honest, clear, and concise. Always use constructive language, even in criticism, to work toward the goal of positive progress. Using questions and seeking clarifications are good ways to make your reviews substantive!
- Use an APA style reference list with in-text citations in your initial response.
- Use an APA style reference list with in-text citations in at least one of your two responses to classmates.