What is lymphedema, how is it diagnosed and how do you classify the clinical stages of lymphedema? Secondly, What are the key management strategies related to the clinical issues associated with lymphedema?
What is lymphedema, how is it diagnosed and how do you classify
1. Firstly, The Diagnosis and Treatment of Peripheral Lymphedema: 2016 Consensus Document of the International Society of Lymphology. Lymphology. 2016 Dec; 49(4):170-84.
1. Secondly, Penzer R. Lymphoedema. Nurs Stand. 2003; 17(35):14-20.
Question:1(i) Firstly, What is lymphedema, how is it diagnose d and how do you classify the clinical stages of lymphedema?
Question: 1(ii) Secondly, What are the key management strategies related to the clinical issues associated with lymphedema?
2. Firstly, Stocks ME, Freeman MC, Addiss DG. The Effect of Hygiene- Based Lymphedema Management in Lymphatic Filariasis-Endemic Areas: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2015 Oct 23;9(10):e0004171. doi: 10.1371/journal.pntd.0004171. eCollection 2015 Oct.
2. Secondly, Coulibaly YI, Dembele B, Diallo AA, et al. A randomized trial of doxycycline for mansonella perstans infection. N Engl J Med. 2009; 361(15):1448-58.
Question: 2(i) Firstly, What is the role of hygiene and doxycycline in the management of filarial related lymphedema?
Question: 2(ii) Secondly, How can hygiene and doxycycline be extrapolated to the management of other forms of lymphedema?
3. Firstly, Hadamitzky C, Pabst R, Gordon K, Vogt PM. Surgical procedures in lymphedema management.J Vasc Surg Venous Lymphat Disord. 2014 Oct;2(4):461-8. doi: 10.1016/j.jvsv.2014.02.001. Epub 2014 Mar 22.
3. Secondly, Sharkey AR, King SW, Ramsden AJ, Furniss D. Do surgical interventions for limb lymphoedema reduce cellulitis attack frequency? Microsurgery. 2017 May;37(4):348-353. doi: 10.1002/micr.30115. Epub 2016 Sep 23.
Question: 3 (i) Firstly, What is the role of surgical interventions for lymphedema?
Question: 3 (ii) Secondly, What are the complications and long-term consequences of these surgical procedures?
13.4 Firstly, Rabe E et al. Indications for medical compression stockings in venous and lymphatic disorders: An evidence-based consensus statement. Phlebology. 2018 Apr;33(3):163-184. doi: 10.1177/0268355516689631. Epub 2017 Feb 22.
13.4 Secondly, Scheer R. Clinical innovation: compression garments for managing lymphoedema. Also, Wounds International 2017;8(2): 34–8
Question: 13.4 (i) Firstly, Describe the principles of lymphedema bandaging.
Question: 13.4 (ii) Secondly, How would you assist the patient with financial constraints to pay for bandages or stockings?
Firstly, Utilize all the readings (refrences) provided above to answer this question.
Firstly, Discuss a brief scenario of a patient who suffers from lymphedema in your practice or a practice you are familiar with, including:
Firstly, Special patient centered concerns.
Secondly, Physical exam or description of the lymphedema.
Thirdly, Diagnostic testing or procedures that have been carried out planned or would be part of the ideal management.
Fourthly, Treatment to date planned and treatment that would be part of ideal care if resources were available.