“What tactics and strategies do marketers and advertisers use to attract target audiences?”
Please review the following selections in Chapter 2 of Signs of Life in the USA and choose which will work for your thesis (i.e., how advertisers target children and teens).
- “Men’s Men and Women’s Women,” (text page 167)
- “How ‘Empowerment’ Became Something for Women to Buy,” (text page 180)
- “How Subarus Came to Be Seen as Cars for Lesbians,” (text page 183)
- “The Age of the Wordless Logo,” (text page 194)
- “Selling to Children: The Marketing of Cool,” (text page 197).
The research paper will be based on the themes surrounding advertising discussed in these readings and that support your discussion.
Remember the following:
- limit using the first person (I and we)—if you are using an example from your own life experience, do not let it take over the essay—this is not an autobiographical essay
- avoid using the second person (you)
- your opening paragraph should include a clear thesis, the points you will discuss and how you will discuss them
- provide a clear discussion—don’t summarize the articles (you can provide some brief background information, but limit it to one or two sentences)
- use quotes sparingly and only to support your discussion—do not string together numerous quotes
- proofread carefully—spelling and grammatical errors will affect your score
- remember to include a Works Cited page following MLA format
- you will submit this online and through Turnitin under the “Assignments” tab, “Research Paper” link